Aims of Boarding
The School has drawn up a statement of boarding principles and practice which summarises our aims for the boarding community and the ways in which we try to implement these aims.
Boarding offers the benefits of a fully rounded education – academically, socially, emotionally and spiritually – and contributes to the development of important transferable skills such as personal responsibility, communication, teamwork, self-motivation and adaptability.
The School’s Mission Statement provides the guiding vision for the education provided at Ratcliffe College. This statement of boarding principles highlights those areas of pastoral care that relate specifically to the school’s boarding community and the ways in which the school seeks to safeguard and promote the welfare, health and safety of boarding students.
Aims of Boarding
- To provide a secure, caring environment where each boarder receives the attention and support he/she needs
- To create an open and trusting atmosphere where each boarder learns to value truth and respect for others
- To provide a homely environment in which all boarders feel confident and comfortable
- To provide the opportunities for each boarder to develop his/her intellectual talents
- To provide opportunities for each boarder to develop physically, socially, culturally, morally and spiritually
- To develop boarders’ qualities of leadership, ability to work as part of a team and self-responsibility
- To encourage boarders to integrate fully with day pupils in the life of the School
- To safeguard and promote the welfare of each boarder, by providing an environment that is, as far as possible, free from physical hazards and dangers
- To provide accommodation which is comfortable and suited to the needs of boarders, according to age and maturity, and which provides adequate levels of privacy
- To encourage links with parents in the support and development of their son/daughter as a boarder.