Sports Report - 17th March - Ratcliffe College

Sports Report – 17th March

Sport | 22.03.2018


Very cold and windy conditions were not totally conducive to good netball but all the teams put up valiant performances against strong Wellingborough sides.

1st VII

The 1st team, determined to win their last game of the season and the last match for the Year 13 players, led throughout their game against Wellingborough, coming out winners, 33 – 31. Changes of positions and a 1st team debut for Olivia Carpenter didn’t faze the team as they settled into their usual style of play. Shooters, Player of the Match and captain, Kate Tyszka, Isobel Hose and Ellie Hollinshead were clinical, and rarely missed which gave the team confidence. Tactical zone marking from defenders Nicole Spencer and Isobel Thomas forced errors from Wellingborough whilst the through court transitions flowed well. Despite Wellingborough clawing themselves back into the game, the team stayed calm under pressure to secure the win. A great end to the season. Well done girls.

2nd VII

The 2nd team had a tough final fixture against a strong Wellingborough side. With Wellingborough taking an early lead the girls struggled to catch up in the freezing conditions. Excellent work rate from Isobel Coombs throughout the four quarters saw her dominate the opposition in center court. A new defensive pairing of Katie Honey and Bo Henderson worked tirelessly to turn the ball over. Overall, the girls did extremely well and continued to work hard throughout all four quarters despite not being in the lead. Congratulations to Isobel Coombs for being voted Player of the Match.


The first half of the U15A game was well contested, with some excellent shooting from Lauren Brown. Annabel Mills made some lovely interceptions in the defensive circle keeping Ratcliffe close behind Wellingborough. However, as the wind picked up in the second half, they found it difficult to convert shots into goals. The final score was 17—6 to Wellingborough. Player of the Match was captain Dani Hendry for her excellent defence and her fighting spirit.


The U15B team started their game well but the overall speed of play disrupted their tactics especially in the second quarter. They slowed the game down and held their own, drawing the second half but the deficit was too great to make up. The result was a 12 – 4 win for Wellingborough.


Despite tough blizzard conditions, the U14A team started strong and proved they were in control. Strong defence from Millie Chapman, Elise Atkinson and Maddi Bryant forced errors from Wellingborough, allowing Ratcliffe to take an early lead. The girls remained calm, with Amy Mason and Annie Bridgwood working the ball into shooters, Annie-Rose Reddin and Rachel Astill, who easily sunk their shots. Wellingborough tried to get into the game, however, Ratcliffe proved too strong with the defence through the mid-court forcing interceptions, particular from Ella McNeeney and Maddi; allowing them to further their lead. A fantastic game resulting in a well deserved 13 – 3 win. Player of the Match was Maddi Bryant. This team has had a wonderful season and have grown so much both as individuals and as a team and have a bright future ahead. Well done.


The U14B team battled hard to draw 5 – 5 against Wellingborough. Some excellent defending from the whole team kept the girls in the game till the end, with great shooting despite strong winds, helped the girls to come away with the draw. Player of the Match went to Megan Geraghty.


In conditions, which were not conducive to playing great netball, the girls battled hard in their last game of the season.  After a slow start and a quarter time team talk, the girls started to ignore the freezing conditions and competed much better. The game really could off really gone either way, and went more with which team had less wind when shooting, finishing in a 6 – 5 lost. The girls actually played some of their best netball, moving the ball well. Players of the Match go to Tallulah Wood and Chelsea Makandeni.


The U13B team had a tough final fixture. Though they did not give up and continued to battle the cold conditions, turning over the ball in defence but unfortunately they were not able to convert their shooting opportunities. Players of the Match got to Amelia Tebbutt and Amelia Haggis, for their hard work throughout the game n defence.


The U12A team had a tough fixture against a strong Wellingborough team. The harsh weather conditions didn’t help the fluidity of the game and both teams found it very difficult to play a consistent game in the strong winds and bouts of snow. That said, the centre court play was strong, with Avani Gupta and Daisy Reddin working hard to keep the game play controlled. Shooters, Sophie Walker and Katherine McCrindell shot well and showed how well they have developed as a shooting pair. Too many penalties gave Wellingborough a run away lead but the girls kept up their effort and played some textbook netball in the final quarter. The final score was an 18 – 6 loss with Jessie Bardsley being awarded Player of the Match for her great interceptions and strong defending.


The U12B had a game that could have gone to either team on a very cold and windy day. The Ratcliffe team certainly had more shots but with the wind failed to score as much as they normally would. Millie Woan was voted Players Player and Player of the Match was Georgie Daynes who fought for every loose ball and never gave up. The score went one way and then the other with the opposition finally taking the honours 5 – 6. I would like to congratulate all of the U12 squad for a very enjoyable season and I wish them all the best for next year as they have shown great promise.  

Boys Hockey

1st XI

The 1st team travelled to Worksop and ended up with a disappointing 8 – 1 loss in terrible weather conditions. The first half was very close and Ratcliffe took the lead with a fine finish from Matthew Ward. However, by half time the hosts were 2 – 1 up. Unfortunately, in the second half Ratcliffe conceded early and then their heads dropped as the weather worsened, and the opposition scored further goals. Players of the Match were Ben Dexter and Reece Goodman. 

2nd XI

The 2nd team finished off their season with a disappointing 5 – 1 defeat. Starting the game in blizzard conditions didn’t help and the team found themselves 2 – 0 down at half time. The second half continued in worsening conditions, however, was a more even affair with Harry Best scoring a creative goal, showing the team what they could do if they kept the play simple. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough. Player of the Match was Matt Elton who stood strong in defence.

3rd XI

The 3rd team travelled to Worksop and won an entertaining game 3 – 2. The team started off the game on the wrong foot conceding a goal in the first five minutes of the game. We managed to regroup by spreading the ball out wide earning the right to play in the middle and with consistent pressure within their D we managed to get a goal through Louis Massarella, however, we conceded a goal just before half-time. The boys had a strong second half by coming back from 2 – 1 down to win 3 – 2, with goals from Luke Chilton and Carter Walker sealing the win before the snow came down which ended the game early. There was some great performance from Dominic Baggot and Maciej Buczkowski in goal. Man of the Match performances for their great work rate went too Luke Chilton and Aleojo Bergen-Chaparrao. A great end to the season, well done boys.


The U15 boys went into the final game of the season and endured some horrible weather conditions, starting a little slower than usual. However, they soon sank into the quality hockey unit that they are, doing all that was asked of them. Much of the attacking play began at the back, showing great composure moving the ball around well. As half time arrived the boys held a comfortable 4 – 0 lead. An unfortunate injury to Alex Tyszka meant that the majority of the second half was played with no sub. The team, however, managed to keep the foot on the gas with the final score ending 11 – 1. Stanly Chell scoring four goals, Krishnan Jivanji three and Tom Page, Archie Heaney, James Turner, and Josh Wong all scoring one a piece. Man of the Match performance went to Joe Stamp for a fantastic performance of composure and discipline. What a pleasure this hockey season has been! 


In the worst possible conditions Worksop and Ratcliffe played out a very entertaining        0 – 0 draw. Ratcliffe certainly coped with the snow-covered pitch better than their opponents in the early exchanges, creating several good openings but overall a draw was probably a fair result.


Despite playing in appalling conditions the U12s played some superb hockey to beat Worksop 6 – 0 in their final 11-a-side game of the season. Going in to the half with a 3 – 0 lead courtesy of a goal from Finlay Spencer and two from Harry Cregeen. The pattern of dominance continued in the second half with further, superbly created team goals that were expertly finished by Kai Kirk, Ed Offer and Seb Welch. Ollie Pole was Man of the Match for his excellent defensive play and distribution in midfield. Hockey is not quite yet finished for the year with the 7 a side team playing in the Schools Midlands Regional Finals on Wednesday 18th April. We wish them the best for this tournament.

Boys Rugby

1st XV

County Plate final – Ratcliffe (10) v Welbeck B (7)

It is a rare occurrence for a sportsman to be nominated Player of the Match based on one moment of excellence but, on this occasion, George Morgan Jones was rightly awarded the accolade due to one successful penalty kick – the last kick of the game – to win the County Plate competition 10-7.

Welbeck negated the effect of Ratcliffe’s strong running forwards for most of the match and attacked with purpose on their rare opportunities.  As seems to have become the norm, Ratcliffe found themselves behind with 10 minutes to go but, on this occasion, it seemed that the opposition would hold out, as wave after wave of Ratcliffe pressure achieved little.  Eventually though, the team found their way, putting Alex Bown over from short range.  George converted the try, but a draw was no use to Ratcliffe as Welbeck were strangely still ahead due to scoring the first try.  One final push saw the opponents stray offside, Harry Brooks had no hesitation in pointing to the posts and George ‘Houdini’ Morgan Jones stepped up.  The rest, as they say, is History.

Great credit goes to the whole 22-man squad who, despite being well short of their best, had the drive and self-belief to keep going and simply find a way to win.  Co-captains, Harry Brooks and Harry Heaney, certainly led by example in magnificent individual performances, but all players really deserve mention – even those who unfortunately did not get on the pitch but still supported the team until the end.  Their pitch invasion on the final whistle was a sight to behold!

Harry Heaney,
Sports Ambassador